Turner Ashby is named after Civil War General Brigadier General Turner Ashby. TA was established in the fall of 1956 bringing together three schools in the Ashby district of the county. The original TA was located in Dayton and built for 715 students. The Bridgewater location was built in 1989 to serve 1200 students. TAHS today has over 1100 students and is a wide range of cultures and backgrounds. TA has a proud tradition of cooperation and respect.
Mrs. Shank was born and raised in Rockingham County and is a Turner Ashby High School graduate. Mrs. Shank and her husband have been back in the valley for over 36 years. She is a graduate of James Madison University and has been teaching Art at TA since the fall of 2000. Mrs. Shank is the mother of four sons who are also TA grads and it looks like two of her grandchildren will also be grads!!!
Mrs. Shank loves working in glass in her basement studio.